Booking Terms and Conditions
*** You may or may not be aware that as of 26 May 2014, the Immigration Act 13 of 2002 (the “Act”) has been amended. Section 40(1) of the Act, read together with Regulation 36, states that, inter alia, all hotels and motels must keep a register containing details of all persons who are provided with lodging or sleeping accommodation. The Register must, in respect of a lodger, contain:
1. his or her full names and surname;
2. a copy of his or her identification document or passport;
3. his or her residence status in the Republic; and
4. his or her normal residential address.
Under the Act each lodger must sign the register and furnish the prescribed particulars regarding himself or herself.
Penalties for non-compliance, both for the guest and the premises, include:
1. Guilty of an offence / crime;
2. Fine; and/or
3. Imprisonment for a period not exceeding 12 months.
In light of the above and that there is no definition in the Act of “persons”, the interpretation is that it extends to all.